Gecko has a wide range of activities in which to get involved, including: fieldwork and citizen science, campaigning, educating, event management, fundraising, grant writing, communications, marketing and more, all of which offer interesting opportunities. If you are interested in volunteering at Gecko, please complete the Volunteer Application Form below.
Volunteering at Gecko is a great way to contribute to your community and the environment, build your skill base, build up your CV, meet like-minded people, make new friends or to do a student internship.
What I do changes the world!
Whether you want to volunteer on weekly, monthly or one-off basis, we would love to hear from you. We like to think of ourselves as a big family and would love to welcome you as well!
No gift of time is too small
Current Volunteer Vacancy Positions:
Media Liaison Officer-The Media Liaison Officer is responsible for creating fresh relevant contend on social media to the Gecko website. You will be required to attend team meetings and must be available for daily instructions on content by email or telephone. In addition, you will be responsible for posting relevant contents, images, video, text and links, including Facebook and Twitter on behalf of this environmental and conservation organisation.
Gecko Friends Team Assistant-Help set up, man and pull down the Gecko Friends staff at Gecko Talks (monthly at Currumbin RSL), Currumbin Eco-Village Markets (Saturday morning monthly) and various annual events.
Water Quality Testing Team Members-Test the water quality of various local creeks to maintain records of local water health.
Grant Coordinator-Coordinating and overseeing the grant application and management process including: identification of potential new funding sources, development of funding resources for existing and proposed programs and/or services, writing grants and developing budgets.
Graphic Designer-The purpose of this role is:
• Design and produce marketing communications (print and digital);
• Collaborate with creative team & internal account team to develop creative solutions through a variety of channels;
• Design of marketing communication pieces including overall theme development;
• Deliver he communication package within the agreed timeline.
Campaigns Coordinator-The role of the Campaign Coordinator is to be an integral part of, and help to oversee, a team of campaigners educating, advocating and lobbying for the environment.
• Playing a critical role in the effectiveness of the peak environment group on the Gold Coast
• Satisfaction of positively influencing the future state of the environment
• Helping to present a strong positive ecological message to the public and making the public aware of environmentally sensitive issues
• Working with a variety of committed people
• Learning new skills
Fundraising Assistant-The purpose of this role is:
• Establish funding requirements an programmes to meet specific levels of funding
• Develop a marketing plan for fundraising
• Approach businesses and organisations as appropriate
• Keep accurate records of funding donations and receipts
• Communicate with funding providers to thank an acknowledge them when outcomes are achieved.
Administration Assistant-The purpose of this role is:
• Provide administrative support to HR/Volunteer Coordinator in the office environment;
• Work across the organisation to facilitate effective administration and office operations that support the activities of the organisation
• Contribute to the organisational development and growth, including supporting conservation activities and fundraising events.
- Communications Assistant-Reports to the Communication Portfolio holder from the Management Committee.
The Communication Assistant will work with the Portfolio holder to develop a strategy that will:
• Raise positive profile of Gecko in community and provides info on Gecko policies and activities;
• Develop and maintain effective communications between Gecko and sectors within the community;
• Improve internal communications between Gecko and sectors within the community;
• Develop an annual operational plan with the team.
If you are interested in volunteering or internship opportunities in any other area, please either email email@example.com or phone Dorothy on 5534 1412.
Training is available for all positions
Gecko’s Human Resources Team Will Welcome You
The Human Resources Team recognises the fundamental importance of volunteers in continuing and expanding Gecko’s work and operations. In conjunction with the Gecko Board, the team provides a safe and pleasant work environment for volunteers and ensures that relevant legislation is adhered to.
To provide a satisfying and positive volunteer experience for all while ensuring that key organisational duties and requirements are met.
- To fill all priority volunteer positions and have accurate job descriptions for each position.
- To have a happy, satisfied and well-functioning team.
- To engage all volunteers and members through a lively, annual social event calendar.
Resources and Methods
- A comprehensive “Volunteer Introductory Package” which provides an outline of Gecko’s operations.
- Successfully matching volunteer skills and interests with organisational requirements.
- Provide orientation, support and training and ensure mentoring to achieve highest levels of volunteer satisfaction.
- Provide an appreciative and welcoming environment and develop and maintain volunteer atmosphere through engagement and ownership.