GeckoEd offers interactive field excursions and programs for schools and the community, using a head, heart, and hand approach. These can be delivered either at your school/community gathering, or within the Gold Coast’s beautiful environs, such as the forests, mountains, rivers, estuaries and dunes.
For example, within the Currumbin Estuary, we inspire, inform and involve participants in the beach dunes,Tarrabora forests, and the mangroves in Beree Badalla.
Programs can be designed to align with Education National and Queensland’s curricula
to suit Study of Society and Environment, Science, Geography, Biology, and others as requested.
Experienced teachers will deliver a unique environmental education experience for your students.
A specific webpage also exists for GeckoEd’s Eco-Explorers (school holiday) program.
Gecko Ed Portfolio
The aim of GeckoEd is to present quality environmental education and to bring children and adults into contact with nature and to promote a sense of stewardship for the natural environment.
The portfolio of GeckoEd is devoted to environmental education in all areas. Primarily GeckoEd is involved in the education of school children of all ages, and to a limited extent to the general public.
GeckoEd aims to expand to include teenagers specifically, and tourists. This will require more funding to employ quality educators and recruit more dedicated volunteers.
The educators develop the programs in consultation with the team and implementation is undertaken by the educator with assistance from the volunteers, GeckoEd prefers to conduct programs/excursions in the natural environment, rather than the classroom, to encourage connection with nature.
- GeckoEd mostly makes its own resources.
- GeckoEd charges small fees, but mostly the majority of the funding comes from grants.
- The GeckoEd team meets weekly on Wednesdays at 1 p.m or as needed. The EcoExplorers’ team meets on Tuesday mornings and we have expanded into preschool education. This program is called MiniExplorers. Site visits are made to the different venues and outdoor areas for the excursions and programs.
GeckoEd’s vision is to provide engaging and inspirational environmental education to its customers which result in attitudinal and behavioural change towards the protection of the environment.
1. To continue to have a well functioning and creative team consisting of a coordinator, educators and volunteers.
2. To successfully conduct the Nature’s tapestry programs to local schools
3. To continue the development and growth of the Eco-Explorers programs
4. To recruit additional educators and volunteers
5. To collaborate in the provision of an Earth Journey to visitors.
6. To investigate the requirements for a program for young people aged 12-18 years.
7. To apply for additional funding for the development of the above programs
- For Nature’s tapestry – Make contact with schools with which Gecko has provided past programs and liaise with the Gold Coast City Council NAMU section for access to natural areas for these programs
- Eco-Explorers – continue to develop new programs; continue marketing strategies; recruit and train volunteers and educators.
- Use all media and social media to attract more educators and volunteers
- Continue discussions with Cultural Song and Dance company regarding Earth Journeys
- Discuss and reflect on appropriate programs, seek collaboration with youth agencies and seek funding.
- Work with Gecko Grants team to source funding for the programs
Below are the staff needed for GeckoEd and the tasks performed by them.
Structure and Tasks of GeckoEd
||All members of the management committee hold a portfolio. The holder of the GeckoEd portfolio in Outreach, is also the GeckoEd co-ordinator
||Overseeing all GeckoEd activities (Ideally the co-ordinator would set agenda, attend all meetings, take minutes and/or chair meetings, support all members of the team, go with the team on excursions at times, set guidelines, mediate, assist in making and preparing resources, meet teachers or other relevant people at times, prepare research documents,and oversee promotion of GeckoEd and its programs.)
||In charge of all administrationAccountable to the GeckoEd Coordinator
||Overseeing and responsible for correspondence, bookings, moneys and meetings with potential and actual customers of GeckoEd products.
||Qualified teachersAccountable to the GeckoEd Coordinator
||Leading all excursions run by GeckoEd; program preparation , writing and implementation; preparing GeckoEd and EcoExplorers resources.
|Administrator for EcoExplorers
||In charge of EcoExplorers’ administrationAccountable to the GeckoEd Coordinator
||Overseeing and responsible for correspondence, bookings, moneys and meetings with potential and actual customers
||For excursionsAccountable to the Educator
||Assisting the educator, preparing for the excursions, accompanying the Educator on excursions and assisting with activities and tasks and packing up afterwards.
||For program preparation and writing.Accountable to the GeckoEd Coordinator
||Aiding and participating in developing and preparing programs
||For GeckoEd and EcoExplorers’ resourcesAccountable to the GeckoEd Coordinator
||Preparing GeckoEd and EcoExplorers’ resources